If you haven’t finished Agatha Christie’s Murder at the Vicarage, you still have a few hours left to get reading before we meet tonight at Paradise Bakery and Café for our discussion. With cooler, damp, fall weather moving in, it’s the perfect time to be inside a cozy café sipping a warm beverage, enjoying a delicious baked treat and discussing a good old fashioned murder mystery from one of the most prolific authors of all time.
- The book is told from the first person point of view of the vicar rather than from the point of view of a narrator or Miss Marple. Was this unusual to you? Do you think it enhanced or hurt the book?
- At one point Miss Marple says she has a certain number of suspects. Did you suspect the same number of people she did?
- When the mystery was solved, were you right? If not, who was your prime suspect and why?
- Do you have a “Miss Marple” in your life? Do you see your self having Miss Marple-like tendencies?
- How did this mystery novel compare with any other mystery novels you have read. Were they written after this one? If so, do you think Agatha Christie’s writing may have influenced that author? Why or why not?