I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this month’s book, The Basket of Flowers. This sweet story is full of morals and lessons that ring true for readers of any age.
Since a Google search didn’t pull up many discussion questions for this book, I decided to put together a few of my own for us to consider as we get ready for our next book club gathering:
- What did you enjoy most about this book?
- Was there anything you didn’t like about this book?
- What lessons does Mary’s father teach her using the flowers of the garden?
- What gift does Mary give her friend Amelia? How do the other characters respond to Mary’s gift?
- How does Mary respond when she is accused of her crime? Is it consistent with the lessons her father taught her?
- What happens to Mary and her father after they leave their home? How do they respond to their hardships?
- What news does Amelia bring to Mary when she is in her darkest hour?
- What happens to Juliette in the end?
- What do you think about the resolution of the story? Is it realistic or unrealistic, fair or unfair?
- What are your lasting impressions of this book?
Do you have any questions of your own or any personal reflections about the book you’d like to share? Bring them to our discussion this Thursday at 7 p.m. at Paradise Bakery and Café. Hope to see you there!